- The Department of Botany was established in the year 1954, Upgraded to PUC and B.Sc (BZC) with English as Medium of instruction in 1956-57 and Telugu as Medium of instruction in 1970.
- Degree course with Botany, Microbiology and Chemistry subjects was introduced in1997-98
- The Department of Botany is nodal Department for the course Food and Nutrition and a Degree course with Botany, Food and Nutrition and Chemistry subjects was introduced in 2014-15
- It is one of the leading Departments dedicated in the field of teaching and research in plant sciences.
- The department consists of 4 faculty and supported by 4 administrative staff including a gardener and herbarium keeper .
- The Department offers undergraduate programme in Botany with Horticulture ,seed technology, Tissue culture and biotechnology as elective.
- The Department offers Add-on and IDE courses like Mushroom Cultivation ,Vermicomposting Bio-Fertilizers and Role of Medicinal Plants in Life
- The curriculum is re-designed and reviewed to meet the trends and developments currently by organizing Board of studies meetings annually for upgrading and updating the academic curriculum.
- The Department has academic autonomy and has been revising its syllabi every three years. The Department has also implemented the Credit System for grading B.Sc. students since the year 2012, which offers flexibility in the structuring and assessment of courses.
- The Department has identified various thrust areas of research viz. Plant systematics, Phytochemistry, Seed Physiology, Environmental Sciences, Plant Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering.
- Steps are under way to start a fully-fledged laboratory in phyto-chemistry to give impetus to the medicinal plant research.
- As the glorious years roll in to the history of the department, it has developed by leaps and bounds contributing significantly to the development of the college and the society.
Vision and Mission:
- To develop the department as a Premier Centre of Teaching and Research in Plant Science
- To discover, maintain, and transmit knowledge concerning basic plant biology and provide leadership in the biological sciences.
- To expand academic co-operation by offering new courses and upgrading programmes to a wider spectrum of students
- To produce entrepreneurs for prosperous ventures in the selected fields of their advancements with global perspectives
- To encourage students to take up higher studies in plant science as their career. To provide ample opportunities for students to get themselves exposed with the current advancements in the field of plant science.
- To devise strategies for the sustainable utilization and conservation of phytodiversity.
THE CULTURE :
The department has a very good and serine atmosphere for study and research. The aim has always been to focus on the human dimension. The department brings us together with exceptionally supportive faculty members, students and alumni. The faculty aims to inculcate in the students a culture characterized by integrity, mutual respect, enthusiasm and hard work. the department organizes lots of teaching and co-curricular activities for the overall development of the students round the year.
The department has well equipped UG laboratories and Plant Tissue Culture lab, At present department has one glass house to carry out various experiments and research activities. The major equipments available in the department for are Spectrophotometer, Laminar air flow chamber, Bomb Calorimeter, Soxhlet apparatus, centrifuge, Muffle Furnance,chromatography chamber, Incubator, LCD, Kjeldhal unit, Electrophoresis unit (DNA/Protein), UV Transilluminator, Microscopes, Research Binocular Microscope with camera, Multi media facility, and other necessary laboratory equipment, etc.
Botany, Zoology, Chemistry
Microbiology, Botany, Chemistry
Food and Nutrition, Botany, Chemistry
CURRENT STUDENT STRENGTH
BZC:- 130 MBC:-67 FNBC:-99
The Botanical Garden is situated in the college campus. The garden includes a green house, a Linnaean garden, Vermicomposting, Organic composting units and Glass House with solar power. Green house with Sciophytes (shade loving plants), Two ponds with aquatic plants and plants for class work and examination material.
The Department houses Herbarium Cabinet. The herbarium stores in its pigeon holes more 200 specimens of flowering plants from India.
The Department is quite fortunate in having its own library. It contains rare books and manuscripts.
The museum is a substantial one, which illustrates the diversity of plant life. Rarities such as fossils, specimens, slides and flora stamps are treasured here.
The plant Tissue culture laboratory was started in 2014 to promote research and teaching in plant tissue culture.
‘THARE ZAMEEN PAR’
An innovative programme of the department in which former students of the department pursuing PhD or PDF in India and abroad, with various scholarships, are invited to the department to interact with the students and the students are encouraged to make contacts with the scholars
As part of Diamond jubilee celebration the Dept has started Eco-Club with 25 students and inaugurated Eco-Club on Feb -5th 2015 in the event of Life science fest. As part of the Eco-Club the students got trained in making Garden compost by Environ Biotech in an innovative and economic way.
The students are taken to Botanical tour for plant collection and Horticulture show to get first hand experience with nature.
The Department Faculty have 20 Publications in various reputed international journals with good impact factor and SCOPUS.
- The Department Organized 2 day Workshop on “Bonsai and Horticulture techniques”,
- The Dept of life sciences has organized Training and orientation programme for the life science faculty in “Techniques in Recombinant DNA Technology”.
- Outreach programme in Chocolate making.
Faculty members attend and participate in Conferences, Seminars workshop , Refresher Courses in Botany, Life Sciences and Environment Sciences on regular basis.
More than 2500 students have completed their study from the department. The alumni are very well placed in India and abroad. Many of them hold senior positions in major corporations and some are also successful entrepreneurs. They have contributed significantly in all the areas of plant science and have proved to be an invaluable asset to their respective organizations. They offer their insights and experiences to students of the department and share career advice through formal and informal exchanges.
The Eco-club was initiated by the department and was inaugurated on 5/2/2015 with the sole aim of spreading the Environmental awareness to the students and make them responsible citizens of the country.
Practicals are taught using Virtual lab online for certain topics Like PCR, Bacteria cell, Mitosis ,Gel Electrophoresis etc which give students better understanding
The students cultivate Azolla a bio-fertilizer ,which has become important components of integrated nutrient management, as they are cost effective and renewable source of plant nutrients to supplement the chemical fertilizers for sustainable agriculture
The students got Trained by Environ Biotech in preparing Organic Compost by using Sanitreat and Bioculum which makes the compost very fast , in a odur less process, this technique also brings students environment awareness waste management and also self employment oppurunities
The students had got practical training and hands on experience in Bonsai and Vegetative propagation Techinque.
The students cultivate Mushrooms as part of their practicals using different types of bedding materials like paddy straw, coco peat, corn peat etc.
Extension activities is planned to train the local peoples to cultivate the mushrooms, Vermicomposting, Organic garden composting and Panchagavya in self-employment basis.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT ACHIVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Lt. E.M. SUNITHA
- Best ANO from 2005-2008 at Unit level won cash prize of Rs 1000/-.
- Secretary for Parents Teachers Association at St Francis Girls High School,
- Isolated and sequenced SGE1 ricini gene from Fusarium oxysporum.f.sp.ricini
NCBI Accession number:-BankIt1548890 SGE1 JX26415
|Name of Faculty member||Designation||Specialization||Email id/ Phone||Experience||Academic Profile|
|Ms.O.SITA KUMARI||ASST.PROF||Physiology||Sita.oddiraju @gmail.com||11 +20yrs||M.Sc, M.Ed|
|Ms.A.RAJANI||ASST.PROF||Stress Physiology||Rajani2477@gmail.com||13yrs||M.Sc (Ph.D)|
|Dr.P.Vani||ASST.PROF||Mycologyfirstname.lastname@example.org||20 +1yr||M.Sc Ph.D|
|Ms.Rumila SitaRam Kumar||ASST.PROF||Food& Nutritionemail@example.com||1yr||M.Sc|
|Ms.Janaki Laxmi||ASST.PROF||Food& Nutritionfirstname.lastname@example.org||1yr||M.Sc|