Raja Bahadur Venkata Rama Reddy Women’s College, Narayanguda, Hyderabad was established in 1954 by the Hyderabad Mahila Vidya Sangam,(HMVS), a non-profit education society with a vision to provide education to women especially to those coming from the rural areas. It is the second oldest college for women in Hyderabad city to be conferred with autonomous status by UGC. Autonomous status was conferred on the college in 1989. The College is re-accredited with Grade- A by NAAC and is recognized as College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) by UGC.
It was one among the first batch of five colleges, which were conferred autonomous status, in Osmania University jurisdictional area. The college is a grant-in-aid institution, affiliated to Osmania University. It is the first women’s college to introduce M.B.A. Programme under Osmania University jurisdiction. It is a partially aided college with a Campus Hostel.
The college has the rare privilege of having had stalwarts like Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime minister, laid the foundation stone for the College. Dr.Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the then Vice President of India, inaugurated the College Building. Smt. Indira Gandhi, the then Minister for Information and Broadcasting has inaugurated the College Hostel. The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee during the year 2004-05. The Valedictory function was graced and addressed by none other than the then President of India, Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
The main objective of the institution is to promote quality education among women hailing from the backward regions of the state. 60% of the seats at the Undergraduate level are reserved for students from rural areas. It is centrally located in the city on a campus comprising 3.5 acres land with six buildings. The college offers 18 programmes: 14 at Under graduate level and 4 at P.G. level.